Wednesday, September 9, 2009
September is California Wine Month
Give a toast to the business behind the libation as the Golden State celebrates California Wine Month during the harvest month of September. Governor Schwarzenegger's proclamation recognizes the importance of the state's wine industry to California's economy and families, not to mention the global reach of California wines.
With so much attention focused on wine's pleasures, it's easy to lose sight of wine's importance as an industry. We were amazed by these remarkable facts about California wine, which make our beverage of choice even more awesome:
• California accounts for 90% of all wine produced in the United States.
• California is the world's fourth-largest wine producer.
• California wine generates $18.5 billion in domestic retail wine sales.
• California wine industries generate 820,000 jobs nationwide.
• The national economic impact of California's wine industry is $121.8 billion with an impact of $61.5 billion on the state's economy.
• Family-owned and operated businesses comprise the majority of the state's 4,600 winegrape growers and 2,800 wineries.
• California winegrowing began in 1769 with Father Junipero Serra and the Franciscan monks.
• California has 108 American Viticultural Areas (AVAs) with winegrapes grown in 46 of the state's 58 counties.
• California leads the nation in wine tourism with more than 20 million tourists visiting the state's winemaking regions yearly.
• California wine is the leading finished agricultural product in the country, even though less than 1% of California land is planted to vineyards.
• California wine drives the popularity and reach of "wine culture," evidenced in part by winemaking ventures in all 50 states.
• Women and immigrants have played pivotal roles in the development and growth of California wine.
• California is a leader stateside and abroad in wine innovation, quality, science, entrepreneurship, and sustainable winegrowing and winemaking.
• California wine country's top chefs comprise the vanguard of America's culinary revolution with their focus on fresh, seasonal and regional cuisine.
Impressed? We were, and that's with nary a mention of how North American rootstock saved the European wine industry from devastation by the Phylloxera pest.
Many valley eateries are celebrating California Wine Month with wine specials. Mindy at Zin American Bistro has specials on many wines from her exotic wine list. All Roy's Restaurants have special wine promotions this month, including our Roy's in Rancho Mirage. And in case you missed our sold-out bash at Piero's Acqua Pazza last month, you can cruise by any Monday night this month for 50% off regularly priced wines by the bottle or glass.
Call your favorite watering hole to ask about their California Wine Month specials. Local stores participating in the celebration include Vons, Pavilions and Costco locations in California.
Now get busy making us the #1 wine market in the world!